10 March 2012

On Solidarity

On Solidarity
© Rhianon Elan Gutierrez
March 10, 2012

I look forward to the day when we all can just work together in solidarity.

I look forward to the day where we aren't calling each other names.

I look forward to the day where we stop shutting each other out.

I am not lost because I am a member of different communities.

I have learned so much from each community of which I am a member.

I cherish my position in each one and hope that I am seen as a valuable and empathetic member.

I am not "less than" because I cannot do something.

I have many skills and ideas that should be respected.

I am always open to learning new skills and communicating about new ideas, but I ask that you acknowledge my learning process.

I work at a pace that is my own, and each decision I make is a step towards asserting my independence and acceptance of myself as a valuable human being.

Please actively communicate with me. Ask me questions. Do not shut me out.

When you label me and assume things about me, it not only hurts me, but it hurts those close to me - those in my community.

I want you to know how much I want to work with you.

I want to be treated like I matter, and treat you like you matter.

I really do look forward to the day when we can be next to each other, moving forward in solidarity.

No comments:

Post a Comment